Skiing is one of people’s favorite winter sports, and it’s the most common. Some people prefer snowboarding or other snow-related activities, but most of them would go skiing in the winter. I can see why. It’s a beautiful sport that improves your balance and is very fun at the same time.
One of the things you must know about skiing is that it requires pretty expensive equipment. Everything from head to toe must be covered in that kind of gear. You need a helmet, glasses, jumpsuit, gloves, boots, and last but not least, skis. Nothing from what I said can be random. You either go properly equipped, or you don’t go at all. And it’s not all about comfort, but about safety as well.
Since they are not the cheapest pieces of equipment, ski gear must be stored and transported properly. It’s not difficult for the jumpsuit, gloves, and all that, but the skis need their own bag. Why? I think it’s obvious, but I am going to say it anyway. They can break. Easily. Their length makes for a lot of vulnerable spots. That is why you need a ski bag for your skis. To preserve them as best as you can.
The benefits of buying a ski bag
Although some people prefer to tie their skis together and then tie them to the rooftop of the car, more people should grow aware about the benefits of using a ski bag instead. I know that some of you may not see its utility, but it actually has plenty of advantages.
- It can preserve the integrity of your skis – when you tie the skis up you are forcing them to scratch one another. Some people take some plastic and put between them, but that doesnot stop them from scratching from something else. They need to be entirely covered. A ski bag will do just that, and if you buy a padded ski bag, the level of protection will increase, and your skis will be safe even from banging to the sides of your car.
- It can make your trip easier – when you are going on vacation, you need quite a bit of luggage. As long as your things are well organized, you shouldn’t have any issues in carrying it. A ski bag will help you with that. I think it’s a lot more convenient to have a ski bag with straps than to have a pair of tied up skis.
- You can carry more than one pair of skis – there are ski bags that have a large capacity and allow you to take two or even three pairs of skis. It’s all about the bag’s capacity. I think it comes in handy when you are going on a ski trip with the entire family. Instead of each person having a bag, you can buy just one and carry everyone’s equipment. It saves space, which is useful on vacation. Not to mention that there are few bags for when you do the inventory.
Types of ski bags
As you can imagine, there isn’t just one kind of ski bags. There are various models from different manufacturers. They are not all the same, which means you have a lot of options you can choose from.
The wheeled ski bag
This kind is designed for long distances. I wouldn’t buy one if I went skiing 100 miles away from home. I think it’s more suited for carrying more than one pair of skis through airports or train stations. The wheels help you carry the bag, but I think it’s an unnecessary investment for short distances. You don’t need that much help most of the times.
Shoulder ski bags
These are more suitable for short distances. They usually have a shoulder strap, but you cannot carry more than two pairs of skis. Shoulder bags are either padded or unpadded, but they are comfortable enough. It’s the best choice when you go on vacation by car.
Padded ski bags
It’s always a good idea to protect yourskis and poles from damage no matter how long is the distance you want to travel. That is why padded bags are more popular than unpadded versions. They usually have straps inside so they can keep everything in place. The most common capacity for padded ski bags is two or three pairs. You can shake the bag, throw it I the same pile with the other luggage, it will not matter. No harm will come to your equipment.
Unpadded ski bags
In my opinion, ski bags that not padded are better suited for storage than actually carrying. They cannot provide protection, they are very lightweight. They may be okay for very short distances, like from the hotel to the slopes, but anything longer than that requires some padding.
Unlike bags, cases are made of hard plastic. They are suitable for long plane rides. I think it’s safer for your skis to be contained in a hard plastic case while traveling by plane than to carry them in a bag made of soft fabric. The plastic can provide more protection. Yes, it’s heavier than the other kinds I told you about, but I think it’s worth the effort.
What to look for when buying a ski bag
If you have some experience at this, you don’t need my help telling you what to do. But if this is your first time looking for a ski bag, here is what you should consider.
- Size – this is the first thing you look at, but it depends on how many pairs of skis you are taking on your trip. If it’s just you, then a simple bag is enough. But if you are taking your wife and kid(s), a larger one may be in order. Also, don’t forget that not all skis have the same length, and bags don’t either. So make sure to look at that before you hit ‘buy.’
- Padded or unpadded – this aspect depends on how far you are traveling on your ski vacation. If you are going far, then a padded bag may be more suitable because it can provide more protection for your valuable equipment. If you travel by plane, then a case may be more suited. The point is to protect your skis as best as you can. You never know when they may suffer damage.
- Durability – when it comes to this, quality says it all. You need something that will last, so make sure that you buy something that has positive reviews. The quality of the bag is also reflected in its price, so as long as you don’t go for the cheapest product, your choice should be fine.
- Comfort –before making a purchase, think about how much you will be carrying the bag around. If you walk through airports much, then a wheeled bag may be in order, but if not, a shoulder bag should be more than sufficient.
What are the best ski bags?
As I mentioned before, there are plenty of models out there. If you know what you need, you shouldn’t have any problems in making a choice. If you don’t, here are a few suggestions that may be of help.
High Sierra Unisex Ski Bag and Boot Bag Combo
The reason I chose the combo is that it’s more useful than the ski bag alone. A lot of people don’t tell you this, but skis are actually easier to transport than the boots. The boots are bulky and heavy. The skis need more protection on the other hand. So if you buy a combo such as this one, you shoot two birds with one stone.
The bag can hold skis that are up to 200 cm and has a ¾ length zipper. What is interesting is that you can transport shorter skis as well. All you have to do is fold one end of the bag,secure the straps, and that’s it. The compression straps will keep the skis and the poles in places and prevent them from scratching. The handles are durable and secure. The boot bag can hold one pair of ski boots up to size 13.
The 600-denier fabric ensures durability in time and is highly resistant. Also, it is water resistant, which will keep moisture away from your equipment. The self-repairing nylon coil zippers will last for quite some time, and even if they break, fixing them is a child’s play. Click here to read more reviews and buy on Amazon.
Athletico Two-Piece Ski and Boot Bag Combo
This is another combo I found, and I find very useful. It can fit skis that measure up to 200 cm. However, just like the previous model, it has a foldable end that can be secured in place with a strap and buckle. That means you can fit smaller skis in there as well. The boot bag can accommodate a pair of boots up to size 13. If you like, you can fit something else in this bag. You have room for a pair of gloves, goggles, jacket, or any other piece of equipment. The mesh pocket ensures some additional space.
The Athletico bag is made of 600 denier polyester. It’s a resilient material, and it’s waterproof. It will protect your gear no matter the weather conditions. The padded handles will make carrying the bag more comfortable, so if you have a long way to go, the straps will not cut through your hands.
The ¾ wrap-around zipper slides easily, which allows you to fit some extra essentials among your skis and poles. It’s a very useful bag, it’s not very expensive, and is suitable for short and medium trips. It may not do well on a plane, but in your car, it will sit just fine. Click here to read more reviews and buy on Amazon.
Athalon Single Padded Ski Bag
This ski bag may not come with a boot bag as well, but it has some sturdy padding that keeps your skis safe from any damage that may occur during your trip. The bag is made of high-density polyester, it has a waterproof backing, and the padding is end to end. You can fit a single pair of skis in there, but it will be secured in place. There will be no wobbling, scratching, or breaking. Click here to read more reviews and buy on Amazon.
- What You Must Know About Dakine Double Ski Bag
- Why Everybody Is Dead Wrong Regarding Snowboard Backpack
- The Lost Secret of Snowboard Bag Sale
- A Guide to Ski Luggage Bags
- The Undeniable Reality About Ski Bag That No One Is Telling You
- All About Ski and Boot Bag
- What You Need to Know About Ski Bags for Sale
- The Ski Bag Sale Pitfall
- The New Angle On Ski Bag for Air Travel Just Released
- A Fool’s Manual to Snowboard Case Explained
- One of the Most Incredibly Ignored Options for Padded Ski Bag
- New Ideas Into Snowboard Boot Bag Never Before Revealed
- Here’s What I Know About Ski Bag with Wheels
- What Everyone Is Saying About Skibag and What You Have to Do
- Ski Travel Bags Help!
- The 30-Second Trick for Snowboard Bag with Wheels
- The Pain of Double Ski Bag
- Sensitive Information on Snowboard Travel Bag That Only the Pros Know Exist
- Ideas, Formulas and Shortcuts for Ski Boot Backpack
- The Appeal of Dakine Ski Bag
- Instant Solutions to Ski Backpack in Easy to Follow Step by Step Format
- Boot Bag Secrets That No One Else Knows About
- The Most Incredibly Neglected Answer for Ski Boot Bag
- Top Guide of Snowboard Bag
- The Unknown Details Regarding Ski Rucksack That People Do Not Know About
- The Ski Gear Bag Diaries
- The Chronicles of Double Ski Bag with Wheels
- What You Don’t Know About Snowboarding Bag Could Be Costing to More Than You Think
- Whispered Padded Snowboard Bag Secrets
- The Demise of Snowboarding Bags
- Instant Solutions to Ski Boot Bag Sale in Step by Step Detail
- Lies You’ve Been Told About Dakine Snowboard Bag
- Top Wheeled Ski Bag Secrets
- Best Ski Boot Bag Ideas
- Top Choices of Ski Boot Bag Backpack